Welcome to the

H e c h t     M u s e u m

University of Haifa
Take a virtual tour...                             
View a short video of the Museum
The museum was inaugurated in 1984, at the initiative of the late Dr. Reuben Hecht
who donated his private collection to the University of Haifa. 
 
Permanent Archaeological Exhibitions:

Archaeology of the Land of Israel in chronological sequence: beginning 
      with the Chalcolithic Period and ending in the Byzantine Period.  

shiplogoMa'agan Mikhael Ancient Ship: On display are the hull of the 
         2400-year-old ship, the anchor, and part of the cargo.
         View the video: The excavation of the Ma'agan Mikhael shipwreck

Phoenicians on the Northern Coast of Israel in the Biblical Period

Ancient Crafts and Industries: metalworking, woodworking, stone vessels, 
      glass making, mosaic art, the art of writing, and the physician's craft.

jaropenThematic display: Jewish coins; weights; West Semitic seals; jewelry; 
      artifacts from The Temple Mount excavations, Jerusalem; and more.

Temporary exhibitions are presented in the 
      archaeology hall as well as in the art wing.
  The Art Wing:
    The Art Collection consists of two principal groups:
French painting 1830-1930: Barbizon School; 
      Impressionism; Post-Impressionism; School of Paris
Jewish art from mid-19th to early 20th century
      Dutch, German and Eastern European artists

      Click to see works by: Corot, Manet, Monet, Pissarro
     Van-Gogh, Soutine, Modigliani, Israels, Struck, Budko
      and Steinhardt.

Oscar Ghez Collection, University of Haifa
       Jewish artists who perished in the Holocaust

 "Michmanim" bulletin, and other Hecht Museum publications

Hecht Museum Auditorium houses an impressive old pipe organ.
 

handicap access There is a wheelchair available for the visitors benefit    Visitor information  Contact us      Sign our guestbook, or view it 
Museum director and curator: Ofra Rimon

Created originally by - Shunit Netter-Marmelstein
Last update: October 19th, 2006, by - Nadav Gur
© All Rights Reserved to the Reuben and Edith Hecht Museum, University of Haifa

To the University of Haifa Home Page         Click here to visit the Hebrew version of our website